Thursday, May 5, 2016

"In love with Tarkovsky" translated by Alistair Ian Blyth

Every time I saw Tarkovsky’s Stalker the same thing happened: I remembered my entire life (as the Stalker asks his two companions to do). I sat in the cramped cinema and remembered my life. Snatches of images, thoughts, unfulfilled desires. Because I was constantly tortured by the same devastating thought, by the same striving to find a meaning to life. I knew that the only solution was to follow the Stalker’s imperative: “You must believe!” Which means: “You must change your life!” The same meaning. To believe in what? In freedom, first of all, that is, in the lived and shared experience, in the encounter with the other, in the encounter with other freedoms and above all the Idea within the framework of spirituality. To experience what others have experienced, to tread the same beaten paths, to feel what others have felt, the great ideas and the great desires. To walk the grand boulevard of great ideas. This is why I wanted to see and experience the films of Tarkovsky.




No comments:

Post a Comment